Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Hamilton set to start from back of Monza grid after F1 engine change

Lewis Hamilton is set for a back of the grid start at Formula 1’s Italian Grand Prix as the result of an engine change penalty on his Mercedes.

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W13

The seven-time world champion will have fourth power unit at the Monza race as a consequence of the damage that his third engine picked up in his clash with Fernando Alonso on the opening lap at Spa-Francorchamps.

That power unit, which took at 45G impact in the first lap crash and lost fluids on the opening lap, was flown back to Mercedes’ Brixworth factory for evaluation to work out if it could be brought back into action.

The initial prognosis is not positive and Mercedes does not feel comfortable in adding that power unit back in to Hamilton’s race pool.

That has prompted a call for it to fit a fourth power unit to Hamilton’s car for this weekend, which will trigger a back of the grid start.

F1 drivers are limited to three main power unit components for the course of 2022, and Hamilton had looked to be in a comfortable position with his usage prior to the incident at Spa.

But losing that power unit has left Mercedes with no option to make a change - and Monza does at least offer some good overtaking opportunities that could allow Hamilton to make a decent recovery.

It is understood that the team is still evaluating what can be done with the third power unit to see if any of the components can be rescued.

If those efforts are successful then some elements could be used for Friday running, which would help limit mileage for Hamilton’s remaining race-spec power units.

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W13 crash with Fernando Alonso, Alpine A522

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W13 crash with Fernando Alonso, Alpine A522

Hamilton's former team-mate Valtteri Bottas will also take a grid penalty for changing multiple power unit components on his Alfa Romeo after retiring from last week's Dutch Grand Prix.

There remains a chance that Red Bull could elect to use this weekend to move Sergio Perez on to his fourth power unit, with the Mexican needing to run an extra engine at some point.

The forthcoming Singapore and Japanese Grands Prix are not ideal venues to take grid penalties, due to the difficulties in overtaking.

The Red Bull's formidable straightline speed would make Monza the track best-suited to aid a charge back through the field if Perez does start at the back.

Previous article Williams could lower F1 car drag at Monza to repeat Spa top speeds
Next article RLL IndyCar team hires ex-Red Bull and McLaren F1 tech chief

Top Comments

Latest news