Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Suppo: “No chance” Suzuki will have MotoGP presence in 2023

Suzuki team boss Livio Suppo says there is “no chance” the Japanese marque will make a U-turn on its decision to quit MotoGP for the 2023 season.

Alex Rins, Team Suzuki MotoGP

Following the Spanish Grand Prix last month, Suzuki informed the race team that it was pulling the plug on its MotoGP project at the end of 2022 – later citing financial reasons and a shift in market trends as its justification.

Suzuki officially communicated at the French GP that had entered discussions with Dorna Sports over the termination of its contract to race in MotoGP, which was due to run from 2022 to 2026 after the commercial rights holder said Suzuki’s decision could not be made unilaterally.

Since then, there has been no update on how those discussions have gone, while there have been thoughts Suzuki could follow a similar path to Kawasaki when it ended its factory team at the start of 2009 in running a scaled back effort under a different guise in the future.

However, during a team boss press conference on Friday at the Dutch GP, Suppo says there is “no chance” Suzuki will appear on the MotoGP grid in 2023 in any capacity.

“I mean, Suzuki confirmed officially that it will not race next year,” he said when asked what the latest was on Suzuki’s decision.

“Then what is ongoing is the negotiations with Dorna, which is something that is not my job.

“So, I can’t say anything about that. But, for sure nothing has changed. There’s no chance to have Suzuki here next year.”

Livio Suppo

Livio Suppo

Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images

While the focus of Suzuki’s shock departure has been on the futures of 2020 world champion Joan Mir and team-mate Alex Rins, the move has left an entire race team without jobs for next year.

Suppo said he has been working to help find a solution to this, and praised the resilience of the squad in the wake of Suzuki’s decision.

“I need to really thank all the guys in the team, because despite the news they didn’t give up,” he added.

“They kept a good mood, if you stay in the paddock you stay in the evening the atmosphere remains very friendly and happy.

“Of course, I’m trying to help find them solutions for next year.

“But what is important is apart from the shock and impact of the first hours [after the announcement], they had a very strong reaction.”

Read Also:

Both Mir and Rins look set to join Honda in 2023, with Mir joining Marc Marquez at the factory squad while Rins is nearing a deal to join LCR in place of Alex Marquez.

Previous article MotoGP Dutch GP: Miller leads wet first practice at Assen
Next article MotoGP Dutch GP: Bagnaia tops FP2 in drying conditions at Assen

Top Comments

Latest news