Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Rins: Suzuki’s MotoGP exit shock “not easy” for rival teams

Alex Rins says Suzuki’s shock decision to quit MotoGP is “not easy” on rival teams as it has put two big-name riders onto an already volatile 2023 market.

Alex Rins, Team Suzuki MotoGP

Following the Spanish Grand Prix, Autosport revealed Suzuki would be leaving MotoGP at the end of the 2022 season, with the Japanese manufacturer confirming at Le Mans that it had entered into discussions with Dorna Sports about terminating its contract.

With both Mir and Rins’ camps claiming at Le Mans that the pair were close to agreeing new deals with Suzuki before its decision, it has left both with limited options for 2023.

Mir has been linked heavily with Honda as it’s thought Pol Espargaro has been handed his marching orders – though he branded this as “fake news” at Le Mans – while Rins has revealed discussions with Yamaha and KTM.

Asked if there had been any movement on his 2023 plans on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Mugello in the wake of Aprilia’s announcement that it had re-signed Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Vinales for two more years, Rins said: “Well, what I can say is I am happy for Aleix and Maverick.

“They are really good riders, good people also.

“So, let’s see. I mean, with my manager we were talking and he will talk again [with teams] in Montmelo during the weekend or after the race.

“Now is too early. I mean, the notice that Suzuki is leaving was super recent.

“So, for sure it’s a big shock for everybody and for sure it’s not easy for the other teams because now there are two more riders on the market.

“So, let’s see what happens in Montmelo, if some meetings are coming are not.

“I prefer to stay focused, let’s try to repeat the same weekend like Le Mans, where I think we did a good weekend.”

Joan Mir, Team Suzuki MotoGP

Joan Mir, Team Suzuki MotoGP

Photo by: Marc Fleury

Just one factory team seat at KTM is up for grabs as Miguel Oliveira is yet to sign a new deal, while the places at Tech3 have also yet to be nailed down.

Asked whether he would accept a satellite offer if factory seats dried up, Rins added: “What I want now is to finish the season with my Suzuki and let’s see what the future awaits."

Previous article Aleix Espargaro “happy” to leave MotoGP if new Aprilia offer didn’t come
Next article Pramac unveils striking new MotoGP livery

Top Comments