Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

F1 Dutch GP: Antonelli pips Norris in practice amid poor showing for Red Bull

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Antonelli pips Norris in practice amid poor showing for Red Bull

The hidden benefit of Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
The hidden benefit of Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit

Ogier set for WRC return after Rally Finland crash

WRC
Rally del Paraguay
Ogier set for WRC return after Rally Finland crash

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Antonelli fastest from Norris in practice

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Antonelli fastest from Norris in practice

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell takes sprint pole from Norris

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell takes sprint pole from Norris

Alpine already in talks with Ocon over new F1 contract

Alpine has already opened talks with Esteban Ocon’s management to keep him beyond 2021, and is not currently considering any other drivers for its Formula 1 team next year.

Esteban Ocon, Alpine F1

Ocon has made an impressive start to the season with Alpine, qualifying on the third row of the grid for the past two races and outscoring two-time world champion team-mate Fernando Alonso.

Ocon signed a two-year deal when he returned to F1 in 2020 with the since-rebranded Renault team, leaving him out of contract at the end of the year.

His links to Mercedes led to Toto Wolff being asked if Ocon could be an option for the German marque next year, only for him to say that it was up to Alpine to decide on its plans first.

Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi said on Thursday in Monaco that Wolff had been “very graceful” in his comments, and revealed that talks had already begun to keep Ocon beyond the end of this year.

Esteban Ocon, Alpine A521

Esteban Ocon, Alpine A521

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

“It’s something we’re considering,” Rossi said when asked by Autosport if Alpine was looking to sew up Ocon’s future soon.

“Esteban is doing everything to make me consider keeping him in the team. I would be remiss if I didn’t think about it.

“At the moment, we are already engaged in some conversations with his agent, his management team, Mercedes at large.

“Esteban is a great driver, so I’m happy to have that type of problem - which is not [one] actually!”

Ocon scored his breakthrough F1 podium at last year’s Sakhir Grand Prix, finishing second for Renault, and has won praise from Alpine executive director Marcin Budkowski for having “significantly improved” in 2021.

Should Ocon stay with the team, it would see Alpine run an unchanged line-up in 2022 after Alonso signed a multi-year deal upon making his F1 comeback this year.

Read Also:

One driver who had been linked with a possible move to Alpine was AlphaTauri’s Pierre Gasly, who became the first French winner of a grand prix in 24 years with his victory at Monza last year.

Although Alpine has played heavily on its French identity since taking over the branding of the Renault squad, Rossi said Gasly was not under consideration.

“We’re not looking at any drivers for next year,” Rossi said.

“Because at the moment, I’m considering obviously Esteban as we mentioned earlier on, [and] Fernando is here next year with us.

“So if we want to carry on on the momentum we have, we’ll do that.

“Pierre is obviously a great driver of value, but at the moment, this is not on the cards, I would say.”

Previous article Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo to launch cryptocurrency F1 fan token
Next article Ferrari admits exploiting flexible rear wings ahead of FIA clampdown

Top Comments

Latest news